- Cooking Oil Spray
- Chicken Breast1/2 Poundsskinless, boneless, cut into very thin strips
- Lemon Juice1 Teaspoon
- Ginger Paste1/2 Teaspoon
- Garlic Paste1 Teaspoon
- Salt1/8 Teaspoon
- Avocado1cut into half and scoop out the pulp and set aside
- Red Onion1 Tablespoonfinely chopped
- Tomato1/4 Cupsmall diced
- Cilantro1 Teaspoonfinely chopped
- Homemade Taco Masala*1 Teaspoon
- Whole-Wheat Sandwich Thins4sliced
- Sour Cream1 Tablespoonfat-free
- Field Greens (mix of salad greens)1/2 Cupfinely shredded
- Cheddar Cheese1/8 Cupfat-free, shredded
- In a small skillet, over low medium heat, evenly spray the skillet with cooking oil for 2 seconds; add chicken, lemon juice, ginger paste, garlic paste and salt. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine avocado pulp, onions, tomatoes and cilantro and mix well.
- On the bottom bun, spread sour cream evenly; add chicken and the field greens mix on the top. Sprinkle with cheese.
- On the top bun, spread avocado mixture evenly and cover the sandwich.
- In a large non-stick skillet, or in a Panini maker, over low heat, evenly spray cooking oil for 2 seconds. Place sandwich on the skillet (or in the Panini maker) and spray the top of the sandwich with cooking oil for another 2 seconds. Toast until golden brown.
- Remove from heat, cut the sandwich in half. Enjoy with Berry Salsa.
*Homemade Taco Masala
- 1 tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp. Turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp. Red Pepper, crushed
- 2 tsp. Oregano, dry leaves
- 1⁄2 tsp. White Pepper, ground
- 1⁄2 tsp. Garam Masala
In a small bowl, combine above spices and mix well.
Note: You only need 1 teaspoon of this homemade taco masala for this recipe. Store the remaining masala in a zip lock bag for up to three months.
This recipe can be made into a wrap with whole grain tortilla. For vegetarian style, use any cooked vegetable such as broccoli, sautéed green beans or zucchini.
Nutrition Facts (includes Taco masala):
Serving Size: 1 Serving (96g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 180, Fat Calories 60, Total Fat 7g (11% DV), Sat. Fat 1g (5% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 35mg (12% DV), Sodium 270mg (11% DV), Total Carbohydrates 15g (5% DV), Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars <1g, Protein 17g, Vitamin A (10% DV), Vitamin C (15% DV), Calcium (6% DV), Iron (6% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.