- Whole Moong2 Cupscooked
- Canola Cooking Oil2 Teaspoons
- Onion1/4 Cupsmall diced
- Tomato1/4 Cupsmall diced
- Cayenne Pepper2 Teaspoons
- Cumin Powder1 Teaspoon
- Cilantro2 Tablespoonsfinely chopped
- Whole Wheat Tortillas412” round, medium (~45g)
- Cheddar Cheese1⁄4 Cupfat-free, shredded
- In a medium skillet, over medium-low heat, add oil and sauté onions, tomatoes, cayenne pepper, cumin powder and turmeric for 1 minute. Add boiled moong (see below) and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the cilantro to make the filling; divide into four equal parts.
- In a large non-stick skillet, over medium heat, place the tortilla and spread one part of the burrito filling in the center of the tortilla; sprinkle cheese on top. Fold one long side over the top of the filling; now fold up two short ends of tortilla to contain burrito filling in the center and heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat step #2 with the remaining 3 portions of the burrito filling and 3 tortillas to make a total of 4 spicy moong burritos.
- Enjoy with any chutney or salsa.
Method to Boil Moong
- 3/4 cup Moong Beans, uncooked
- 3 cups Water
- In a medium pot, over medium high heat, add water and moong. Bring moong and water to a rolling boil and immediately reduce the heat to the lowest setting.
- Cover half way and let it cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
- Remove from heat and drain all the water. Set aside to cool.
Chef's Tip: To decrease the sodium content further, compare and choose a tortilla and/or cheese, respectively, with lower sodium content. You may also wish to choose corn tortillas which will have lower sodium content.
Serving Size: 1 serving (163g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 340, Fat Calories 50, Total Fat 6g (9% DV), Sat. Fat 1g (5% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Sodium 370mg (14% DV), Total Carbohydrates 52g (17% DV), Fiber 9g (36% DV), Sugars 4g, Protein 18g, Vitamin A (14% DV), Vitamin C (5% DV), Calcium (15% DV), Iron (20% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.