- Brown Rice1/4 CupUncooked
- Whole Wheat Penne pasta1/2 Cup
- Water4 Cups
- Green Beans1/2 CupFresh or Frozen
- Shrimp2 CupsRaw, peeled, deveined, clean, washed and dry
- Onion1/4 CupYellow, fine chopped
- Tomato1/4 CupDiced small
- Garlic1 TablespoonChopped
- Oil2 Tablespoons
- Salt1/2 Teaspoon
- Coriander Powder1 Teaspoon
- Cumin Powder1 Teaspoon
- To cook the rice, rinse the rice in a bowl and drain the water. In a pot, over high heat, add rice and 3/4 cup water; bring to a rapid boil and turn down the heat to medium-low heat. Cover the pot and let rice cook 15-20 minutes or until done. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- To cook the pasta, in a medium sized pot, over medium high heat, add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In a large, non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, heat oil.
- Add garlic, onion and tomatoes, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until softened.
- Add salt, coriander powder, and cumin powder.
- Add shrimp and stir well until all are coated well with the spices and the shrimp tails curl. Shrimp should be opaque in color.
- Add the rice and pasta to the shrimp and mix well. Cover the skillet, turn the heat to the lowest setting and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1 Serving (6oz), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 260, Calories from Fat 80, Total Fat 9g (14% DV), Saturated Fat 0.5g (3% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 130mg (43% DV), Sodium 430mg (18% DV), Total Carbohydrate 23g (8% DV), Dietary Fiber 3g (10% DV), Sugars 2g, Protein 21g, Vitamin A (4% DV), Vitamin C (17% DV), Calcium (8% DV), Iron (13% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.