- Beet Root1whole, head trimmed off, washed and dried
- Chickpeas1 1⁄2 Cupsdrained, rinsed and dried
- Roma Tomatoes1⁄4 Cupwashed, deseeded and diced small
- Garlic1 Teaspoondiced or paste
- Onion1⁄4 Cuppeeled, washed, dried, diced small
- Sesame Seeds2 Tablespoonsground or powder
- Yogurt1⁄2 Cupfat free
- Cumin Seeds1 Teaspoon
- Water1⁄4 Cup
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Whole Wheat Saltine Crackers16
- Carrots4whole, peeled, washed and cut into rounds or sticks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wrap the beet root in a piece of foil and bake for 25-30 minutes or until tender.Remove from the oven and let cool. Once cool, peel the skin and dice small.
- In a small nonstick skillet, over a medium-low heat, spray cooking spray evenly for 2 seconds.
- Add cumin seeds and let sizzle for about 1 minute; add beet root and sauté for 2- 3 minutes; remove from heat. Let cool.
- In a food processor, add chickpeas, tomatoes, garlic, onion, sesame seeds, yogurt and water. Puree until smooth. If it is too thick, add additional water as needed.
- Pour pureed mixture into a serving bowl and add the sautéed diced beet root.
- Serve with whole wheat crackers and carrot chips.
To further lower sodium, boil fresh chickpeas at home instead of canned and enjoy with low sodium saltine crackers.
Serving Size: 1 Serving (170g) [1/4 cup Dip, 4 Crackers, 1 Carrot], Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 210, Calories from Fat 50, Total Fat 6g (9% DV), Saturated Fat 0g (2% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 350mg (15% DV), Total Carbohydrate 33g (11% DV), Dietary Fiber 6g (26% DV), Sugars 10g, Protein 9g, Vitamin A (170% DV), Vitamin C (10% DV), Calcium (10% DV), Iron (10% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.