Kheer Ki Faki
- In a medium non-stick pan, over medium high heat, evenly spray cooking oil for 2 seconds. Add milk and bring to a rolling boil. Immediately reduce heat to low; add coconut, cardamom, nutmeg and mace.
- Let milk mixture simmer for 1 hour. Continue to stir until mixture is reduced to half and turns to a light golden brown color. Add yellow food color and stir.
- Grind edible gum in a coffee grinder until fine; add to milk mixture and continue to stir. At this point, milk will break up and water will be released. Spray cooking oil for 3 seconds in milk mixture and keep stirring for another 10 minutes until all water is dried up.
- Coarse-grind almond and pistachio in a grinder and add to the milk mixture; add sugar and spray cooking oil for 2 seconds. Continue to stir until the color turns dark brown and mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan turning into a soft dough. Spray cooking oil for 1 second.
- In a 5-inch square or a rectangle pan, evenly spray cooking oil for 1 second and pour the milk dough into the pan. Flatten the dough evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds and cut into four diagonal, square or round pieces.
This is an excellent recipe for Eid and other festivities. To decrease the sugar content of this recipe, a sugar substitute may be used.
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1 piece (39g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 180, Fat Calories 80, Total Fat 9g (14% DV), Sat. Fat 2g (10% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. Sodium 70mg (3% DV), Total Carbohydrates 20g (7% DV), Fiber 7g (28% DV), Sugars 12g, Protein 8g, Vitamin A (6% DV), Calcium (20% DV), Iron (4% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet