- Chicken - skinless, boneless3/4 CupCut into small cubes
- Chana Daal - soaked and rinsed1/4 Cup
- Yellow Onion1/4 CupRoughly chopped - 3/4 inch chunks
- Ginger Paste1/2 Tablespoon
- Garlic Paste1/2 Tablespoon
- Whole Dry Red Chili4-6 Pieces
- Oatmeal2 Tablespoon
- Water1/4 Cup
- Yellow Onion1/4 CupFinely chopped - 1/4 inch chunks
- Gram Masala1 Teaspoon
- Salt1/4 Teaspoon
- Lemon or lime1/2 PieceFresh squeezed juice
- Cilantro - washed, rinsed1/4 Cup
- Canola cooking oil1/2 Tablespoon
- Egg white1/4 Cupor 1 medium egg
- Soak the chana daal for a few hours, rinse, and pat dry.
- Remove all the visible skin or fat from the chicken. Wash, pat dry, and cut into small cubes.
- Follow the manufacturer’s direction to turn on your instant pot to sauté mode for pre-heating.
- Now in the pre-heated instant pot, add chicken, soaked chana daal, roughly chopped onions, ginger paste, garlic paste, whole dry red chili, and water. Mix the ingredients well with a spoon. Turn off the sauté mode and switch the pot into pressure cooker mode with timer for 30 minutes. Make sure the lid is properly closed per manufacturer’s direction.
- Once the pressure cooker mode is completed, carefully turn the knob on the top of the lid to vent. Turn on the sauté mode, carefully open the lid and add the oatmeal. Mix well.
- Next, with the back of a spoon, mix and smash the chicken and daal mixture to form a soft dough.
- Turn off the instant pot and let it cool before transferring the kabab dough into a bowl.
- Add gram masala, salt, finely chopped onions, cilantro, and fresh lemon or lime juice.
- Knead the ingredients well and divide the kabab dough into 8 balls. Using the palm of your hands, flatten each ball into a kabab.
- In a bowl, separate and beat an egg white.
- Add a few drops of canola oil in a pre-heated non-stick frying pan (you may use a basting brush to brush some oil on the pan).
- Dip both sides of the kabab into the egg white and place on the pre-heated frying pan (you may place 4 kababs at a time)
- Shallow fry each side on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add a few drops of oil on the top of the kabab, carefully flip, and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining 4 kababs and enjoy with your favorite chutney!
This is a great recipe that can be done on the stove without using an instant pot. If preparing this recipe without instant pot, simply increase the water as needed for desired dough consistency (step 4).
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1 Serving or 2 kababs (82g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 130, Fat Calories 25, Total Fat 2.5g (3% DV), Sat. Fat 0g (1% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 35mg (12% DV), Sodium 190mg (8%DV), Total Carbohydrates 12g (4% DV), Fiber 4g (13% DV), Sugars 2g, Protein 16g, Calcium 36 mg (2% DV), Iron 0.94 mg (6% DV), Potassium 25 mg (0% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.