- Tilapia1 PoundSkinless, boneless, four filets
- Garlic1 1/2 TablespoonsMinced
- Lemon Juice1 TablespoonFresh
- Turmeric1/2 Teaspoon
- Homemade Fish Spice Masala*1 TablespoonSee recipe below
- Water1 /2 Cup
- Water1 Tablespoon
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Shallot1 Tablespoonfinely chopped
- Tomato3/4 CupFinely Chopped
- Homemade Fish Curry Masala**2 1/2 TablespoonsSee recipe below
- French Green Beans***3/4 CupCooked - See recipe below
- Canola Cooking Oil1/2 Tablespoon
- In a shallow dish, mix minced garlic, lemon juice, turmeric, homemade fish spice masala and 1 tablespoon of water to make the marinade for the tilapia. Rub the marinade on both sides of each tilapia fillet; cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a medium wok, over medium high heat, evenly spray cooking oil for 2 seconds. Add two marinated tilapia fillets and spray 2 seconds of cooking oil on top of the fish; cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Gently turn the tilapias, cover and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat this step for the remaining fillets. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same wok, over medium heat, evenly spray cooking oil for 2 seconds, sauté shallots for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and stir; add homemade fish curry masala and remaining water and mix well to make thick gravy.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover the wok and cook for 10 minutes. Add cooked green beans, cover and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes. Drizzle oil over the beans, stir and return the cooked tilapias on top of the green beans mixture; cook uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve Fish Masala on a bed of brown rice and enjoy!
Chef's Tips: Shallots may be replaced with small onions.
* Homemade Fish Spice Masala
- 2 tsp. Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 2 Cloves, whole
- 1⁄2 tsp. Kalonji Seeds (Black Nigella Seeds)
- 1⁄2 inch long Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper, crushed
- In a small non-stick skillet, over medium high heat, dry roast all spices for 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a coffee or spice grinder, coarse grind roasted spices.
Note: This recipe makes 1 1⁄2 tablespoon of homemade fish spice masala – use 1 tablespoon for the fish marinade and 1⁄2 tablespoon in the fish curry masala recipe.
** Homemade Fish Curry Masala
- 1⁄2 tbsp. Coconut Powder
- 1⁄2 tbsp. Sesame Seeds
- 1⁄2 tbsp. Poppy Seeds
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1⁄2 tbsp. Homemade Fish Spice Masala*
In a coffee or spice grinder, combine all spices and grind until fine.
***Blanched French Green Beans
- 3⁄4 cup French Green Beans, uncooked
- 2 cups Water
In a medium pot, over medium high heat, add water and bring to a rapid boil. Add green beans and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and run under cold water for 3 to 5 minutes; this will stop the cooking process and beans will retain its color and texture. Drain green beans.
Nutrition Facts (includes Fish Spice & Curry Masala and Green Beans):
Serving Size: 1 serving (148g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 170, Fat Calories 70, Total Fat 7g (11% DV), Sat. Fat 1g (5% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 70mg (3% DV), Total Carbohydrates 6g (2% DV), Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars 2g, Protein 24g, Vitamin A (15% DV), Vitamin C (15% DV), Calcium (6% DV), Iron (8% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.