- Tilapia3fresh or frozen, trimmed, rinsed and dried
- Potatoes4small -medium, cleaned, scrubbed and dry
- Garlic Paste1 Tablespoon
- Oil1/2 Tablespoon
- Black Pepper1/2 TeaspoonGround
- Onion1/4 Cupfinely chopped
- Green Bell Pepper1/4 Cupdiced small
- Tomatoes1/4 Cupfinely chopped
- Cumin Powder1 Teaspoon
- Coriander Powder1 Teaspoon
- Egg whites2
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake potatoes for 30-45 minutes or until cooked. Remove from oven and let cool. Peel the skin and mash potatoes.
- In a shallow, glass bowl, add oil, garlic, and black pepper. Mix well.
- Add fish and coat well. Marinate for a few minutes.
- In a non-stick fryer pan, on medium-high heat, evenly spray cooking spray 2 seconds. Add the fish to the pan and cook 5-7 minutes. Spray cooking spray for another 2 seconds and turn fish gently. Cook for another 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the fryer pan and let fish cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add mashed potatoes, fish, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, cumin powder and coriander powder (add a pinch of salt if desired).
- With washed and dry hands, mix the fish and potatoes mixture into a firm dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and make kebabs.
- Place a non-stick medium sized skillet on medium high heat and evenly spray cooking spray for 2 seconds.
- In another bowl, separate egg yolks from egg white and beat egg whites. Dip the kebabs into the egg white and pan fry 4 kebabs at a time for 3-4 minutes on both sides.
- Repeat frying of kebabs for remaining kebabs, making sure to evenly spray cooking spray before frying the next batch and when turning the kebabs.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (if you add the pinch of salt in step #5, the sodium content would increase to approximately 160 - 240mg per serving):
Serving Size: 3 Kebabs (115g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 200, Calories from Fat 40, Total Fat 4.5g (7% DV), Saturated Fat 0.5g (3% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 40mg (13% DV), Sodium 90mg (4% DV), Total Carbohydrate 21g (7% DV), Dietary Fiber 4g (14% DV), Sugars 2g, Protein 20g, Vitamin A (2% DV), Vitamin C (30% DV), Calcium (4% DV), Iron (8% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.