- Urad Daal1/2 Cup
- Moong Daal, Yellow1/4 Cup
- Kadu3/4 Cup(Opa Squash - 88g)
- Tomatoes1/2 Cupone large Roma tomato
- Ginger, Fresh1/2 inchvery small size
- Onion2 Ouncesfinely chopped
- Canola Oil1/4 Teaspoon
- Cumin and Coriander Powder1 Tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds1 Teaspoon(rye)
- Water4 Cups(tap)
- Green Chili1/4 Cupde-seeded and fine chopped
- Whole Cumin Seeds1/2 Tablespoon
- Curry LeavesFew
- Lemon Juice1 TablespoonHand-squeezed
- Cilantro1/4 Cupclean, washed, pat dry; fine chopped
- Salt1/2 Teaspoon(optional)
- Combine the Daals in a cooking pot and rinse well. Add water and set aside for thirty minutes then do a final rinse.
- Add 4 cups of water and cook the Daal over high heat to rapid boil; as soon as it starts creating foam, skim the foam carefully and discard until the top becomes clear.
- Turn down the heat to a low-medium setting and add the Kadu, tomatoes, ginger piece and cumin/coriander powder, and salt (optional); let it simmer until it is well cooked
- Scoop out the Kadu pieces and set aside
- Carefully transfer the Daal mixture into a blender and mix well to a chunky consistency (not puree)
- Next, in the same pot, over medium heat, add oil and swirl around to ensure the pot is well coated with oil; add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves till it sizzles then add onions, green chilies and mix well; add the Daal mixture and Kadu pieces and let it simmer for another seven to ten minutes.
- Add ¼-1/2 cup water to bring to desired consistency
- Once Daal is cooked, add fresh hand-squeezed lemon juice and garnish with cilantro
- Enjoy this delicious Daal with Kadu.
Chef's note: This recipe may be enjoyed with whole grain roti or plain white/brown rice. To lower the sodium content further, skip the optional salt or try 1/4 tsp.
Nutrition Facts (includes the added salt):
Serving Size: 1 Cup (233g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 110, Calories from Fat 10, Total Fat 1.5g (2% DV), Saturated Fat 0g (1% DV), Trans Fat 0g, cholesterol 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 310mg (13% DV), Total Carbohydrate 20g (7% DV), Dietary Fiber 5g (20% DV), Sugars 3g, Protein 6g, Vitamin A (6% DV), Vitamin C (50% DV), Calcium (10% DV), Iron (10% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.