- Semolina (Sooji)1/2 Cupcoarse
- Yogurt1/4 Cupfat-free
- Water3 1/3 Cups
- Garlic Paste2 Teaspoons
- Cumin Coriander Powder1/2 Teaspoonroasted (see method below)
- Canola Cooking Oil1 Teaspoon
- Salt1/4 Teaspoon
- Eno Fruit Salt1/2 Teaspoon
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Mustard Seeds1/2 Teaspoonblack
- Curry Leavesfew
- Cilantro1 Tablespoonfinely chopped
- Coconut1 Tablespoonunsweetened, dry flakes, shredded
- In a medium size bowl, mix semolina (sooji), yogurt, 1/3 cup water, garlic paste, cumin coriander powder, oil and salt. Mix well and set aside. The batter should be the consistency of cake mix.
- In a large saucepan, over medium high heat, add 3 cups of water and insert a steel trivet (or riser) to create a steamer. Bring to a simmer.
- Grease an 8”round cake pan with cooking oil spray for 2 seconds and set aside.
- Add Eno to the batter and mix thoroughly. Immediately pour the batter into the greased pan and place into the steamer. Cover and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once cool, cut Dhoklas into 1 inch round or diamond shape bite size pieces as desired.
- In a medium skillet or wok, over medium high heat, evenly spray cooking oil for 2 seconds; add mustard seeds, curry leaves and cilantro. Cover for 1 minute or until it sizzles. Add Dhokla pieces, sprinkle coconut and gently toss. Remove from heat.
- To make red color Dhoklas, replace garlic paste with Garlic Chili Chutney* and add one drop of red food color; repeat the same method for making Dhoklas.
- To make green color Dhoklas, replace garlic paste with Garlic Cilantro Chutney** and add one drop of green food color; repeat the same method for making Dhoklas.
- To make yellow color Dhoklas, add turmeric and yellow food color; repeat the same method for making Dhoklas.
- To make blue color Dhoklas, add one drop of blue food color; repeat the same method for making Dhoklas.
- Enjoy Dhoklas with Spicy Strawberry Chutney.
You may use different cookie cutters to cut Dhoklas.
For Red/Green/Yellow/Blue Color Dhoklas:
• 2 tsp. Garlic Chili Chutney*
• 1 drop Food color, red/green/yellow/blue
Dry Roasted Cumin and Coriander Powder or Dhaniya Zeera Powder (Makes 1⁄4 cup)
- 1/8 cup Cumin Seeds
- 1/8 cup Coriander Seeds
- In a medium non-stick skillet, over medium-low heat, combine cumin and coriander seeds and dry roast for 1 minute; remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a coffee or a spice grinder, add dry roasted spices and grind well until a fine powder.
*Garlic Chili Chutney (Makes 1/3 Cup)
- 1⁄4 cup Red Chili, whole
- 1⁄4 cup Garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup + 1⁄2 tbsp. Water
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, soak chili with 1⁄4 cup water for 1 hour.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute. In a blender, add chili, garlic cloves, 1⁄2 tbsp water and puree.
**Garlic Cilantro Chutney (Makes 1/3 Cup)
- 1⁄4 cup Garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. Water
- Add all ingredients to a blender and puree.
Serving Size: 1 serving (55g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 100, Fat Calories 20, Total Fat 2g (3% DV), Sat. Fat 0.5g (3% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Sodium 230mg (10% DV), Total Carbohydrates 17g (6% DV), Sugars 1g, Protein 4g, Iron (6% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.