- In a medium bowl, combine barley and 4 cups of water and soak for 4 hours. Drain the water.
- In a medium non-stick saucepan, over medium-low heat, add 4 cups water and the soaked barley; cook for 30 to 40 minutes. Let it cool. Using a hand-held blender puree the barley mixture.
- In a large pot, over medium heat, add oil and sauté onions until golden brown. Add chicken, ginger and garlic paste, garam masala, salt, paprika, turmeric, cumin and coriander powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon powder and tomato sauce. Mix well and add 1 cup water; cover and cook for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add pureed barley mixture to chicken, mix well. Add the chicken stock and stir well; reduce heat to the lowest setting, cover and cook for 1 1⁄2 hours. Continue to stir every 5 to 7 minutes until mixture becomes creamy texture and the amount is reduced to almost half.
- Garnish with sliced ginger, cilantro and lemon wedges.
Serving Size: 1 serving (328g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 420, Fat Calories 140, Total Fat 15g (22% DV), Sat. Fat 1.5g (7% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 85mg (28% DV), Sodium 470mg (20% DV), Total Carbohydrates 39g (13% DV), Fiber 9g (36% DV), Sugars 4g, Protein 33g, Vitamin A (30% DV), Vitamin C (12% DV), Calcium (6% DV), Iron (15% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.