- Cooking Oil Spray
- Potato1Medium, peeled, cut into 12 small pieces
- Turmeric1/8 Teaspoon
- Water2 3/4 Cups
- Onion Flakes,1/2 TablespoonDry
- Chicken6 OuncesSkinless, boneless, cut into small pieces
- Yogurt1/2 CupFat-Free
- Ginger Paste1/2 Teaspoon
- Garlic Paste1/2 Teaspoon
- Salt1/2 Teaspoon
- Paprika1 Teaspoon
- Onion1/4 CupFinley Chopped
- Tomato1/2 CupFinely Chopped
- Garam Masala1 Teaspoon
- Carrots and Peas1/2 CupFrozen
- Brown Rice3/4 CupUncooked
- Cumin Seeds1/8 TeaspoonBlack
- Peppercorns4 PiecesBlack
- Cinnamon Stick1 Piece1/2 inch long
- Cloves2 Pieces
- Cardamoms2 PiecesGreen
- Bay Leaf1 PieceSmall
- Cilantro2 TablespoonsFinely Chopped
- Mint Leaves3 PiecesSmall
- Kewra Water1 TeaspoonPanadanas Water
- Pre-heat oven to 335 ̊
- Mix potatoes and turmeric in a small bowl and set aside.
- Use a small ovenproof tray and evenly spray cooking oil for 2 seconds; arrange the potatoes on the tray and sprinkle 1⁄2 cup water over potatoes; bake for 40 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, evenly spray cooking oil for 2 seconds. Sauté dry onion flakes for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, yogurt, ginger paste, garlic paste, salt and paprika; mix well to marinade the chicken. Set aside.
- In medium size saucepan, over medium-low heat, evenly spray cooking oil for 2 seconds; sauté onions and tomatoes. Add marinated chicken and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Add garam masala and mix well; remove from heat.
- Cook the frozen vegetables (carrots and peas) in the microwave by following the package instructions.
- In a medium sized pot, add 2 1⁄4 cups water, brown rice, cumin seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom and bay leaf. Over high heat, bring water to a rolling boil and reduce the heat to the lowest temperature; cover and cook the rice for 40 to 45 minutes or until all the water has evaporated and rice is fluffy. Remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 325 ̊ F.
- To assemble the Pilaf, in a medium sized ovenproof tray, evenly spray cooking oil for 2 seconds. Spread half of the rice at the bottom of the tray, add chicken and vegetables, add potatoes over the vegetables, sprinkle cilantro and mint leaves over the potatoes and spray with cooking oil for 2 seconds; add the remaining rice on top. Sprinkle kewra water on top of the rice, cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with sautéed onion flakes.
Try adding seafood or other vegetables when making this Pilaf.
Serving Size: 1 serving (179g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 260, Fat Calories 40, Total Fat 4.5g (7% DV), Sat. Fat 0.5g (3% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 30mg (10% DV), Sodium 390mg (16% DV), Total Carbohydrates 41g (14% DV), Fiber 3g (12% DV), Sugars 3g, Protein 16g, Vitamin A (40% DV), Vitamin C (15% DV), Calcium (4% DV), Iron (8% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.