- Moong Beans1/4 Cupcooked*
- Chickpeas1 Cupcooked**
- Red Onion1/4 Cupfinely chopped
- Tomato1/3 Cupsmall diced
- Homemade Chaat Masala*1 1/2 Tablespoons
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Curry leavesfew
- Turmeric1/8 Teaspoon
- Puffed Rice1 Cuproasted
- Black PepperPinchground
- Green Sweet Chutney**1/4 Cup
- Sweet & Sour Red Chutney***1/4 Cup
- Cilantro2 Tablespoonsfor garnish
- In a mixing bowl, add moong, chickpeas, onions, tomatoes and homemade chaat masala; toss together to make bhel salad.
- In a medium non-stick skillet, over medium-low heat, evenly spray cooking oil for 2 seconds. Add curry leaves, turmeric and rice puffs and roast for 3 to 5 minutes till crisp. Sprinkle black pepper and set aside to cool.
- To assemble, combine bhel salad and drizzle with green and red chutneys; top with roasted rice puff mix and garnish with cilantro.
* Ingredients for Chat Masala:
- 1⁄2 tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 1⁄4 tsp. Black Pepper, ground
- 1⁄2 tbsp. Pomegranate Seeds
Method for Chaat Masala:
In a small non-stick skillet, on medium high heat, dry roast cumin seeds, black pepper and pomegranate seeds for 2 to 3 minutes; remove from heat and let cool. Place this dry spice in a coffee or a spice grinder and grind until fine.
** Ingredients for Green Sweet Chutney:
- 1⁄4 cup Dates, pitted
- 1⁄4 cup Water
- 1/3 cup Pineapple Chunks, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp. Cilantro
Method for Green Sweet Chutney:
In a microwave-safe bowl, add dates and water and microwave on high for 45 seconds, let cool. Add date mixture, pineapple and cilantro into a blender and puree.
*** Ingredients for Red Sweet & Sour Chutney:
- 2 Dates, pitted
- 1⁄4 Water
- 1⁄4 cup Raspberries, fresh
Method for Red Sweet & Sour Chutney:
In a microwave-safe bowl, add dates and water and microwave on high for 20 seconds; Once cool, add date mixture and raspberries to a blender and puree.
Quick Soak Method for Boiling Chana (Chickpeas)**
- 1⁄2 cup Chickpeas, uncooked
- 6 cups Water
- In a medium pot, over high heat, add 1⁄2 cup water and dry chickpeas. Bring to a boil and remove from the stove. Cover for 1 hour.
- Drain the water and rinse the chickpeas. Add remaining water to the same pot and cook chickpeas on high heat. As soon as it boils, reduce heat to medium-low and cover pot half way; simmer for 45 minutes or until done.
- Remove from heat and drain all water. Let the chickpeas cool and use in any recipe calling for chickpeas.
Method for Boiling Moong*
- 1/8 cup Moong Beans, uncooked
- 3⁄4 cup Water
- In a medium pot, over medium high heat, add water and moong. Bring moong and water to a rolling boil and immediately reduce the heat to the lowest setting.
- Cover half way and let it cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
- Remove from heat and drain all water. Let the moong cool and use in any recipe calling for moong.
Chef's Tip: This is a great appetizer and you can use a variety of beans and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts (includes masala and chutneys) :
Serving Size: 1 Serving (152g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 210, Fat Calories 20, Total Fat 2g (3% DV), Sat. Fat 0g (0% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 10mg (0% DV), Total Carbohydrates 43g (14% DV), Fiber 8g (32% DV), Sugars 18g, Protein 7g, Vitamin A (4% DV), Vitamin C (20% DV), Calcium (6% DV), Iron (15% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.