- Cooking Oil Spray
- Beef1 PoundEye of round, extra lean, cut into medium cubes
- Garlic Paste1 Tablespoon
- Ginger Paste1 Teaspoon
- Salt3/4 Teaspoon
- *Homemade Nihari Masala2 Tablespoons(see recipe below)
- Gram Flour1 TablespoonsRoasted
- Water4 1/2 Cups
- Whole Wheat Flour1/4 Cup
- Paprika1 Teaspoon
- Garam Masala1 Teaspoons
- Whole Wheat Pita Breads4
- Cilantro2 TablespoonsFinely chopped for garnish
- Ginger1/2 TablespoonThinly sliced for garnish
- Jalapeño Peppers1 TablespoonFinely chopped for garnish
- Lemon wedgesFor garnish
- In a large non-stick pot, over medium high heat, evenly spray cooking oil for 4 seconds. Add beef and pan sear on all sides; add garlic and ginger paste, salt, homemade Nihari masala (see below) and gram flour and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water and turn the heat to the highest setting; bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to the lowest setting, cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours until beef is almost cooked.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining water and whole wheat flour to make a fine paste. Add this paste slowly to the beef mixture and mix well removing any lumps.
- Sprinkle paprika and garam masala on top and spray cooking oil for 4 seconds. Cover and cook for 1 ½ hour until beef is completely cooked and tender and the gravy thickens.
- Finish Nihari by spraying cooking oil for 2 seconds and garnish with cilantro, ginger, jalapeño peppers and lemon wedges.
- Warm the pita by sprinkling a few drops of water on the pita bread and heating on a pan or grill.
- Enjoy Beef Nihari with warm whole wheat pita bread.
Homemade Nihari Masala
- 1 tbsp. Fennel Seeds
- 1⁄2 tbsp. Cumin Seeds
- 5 pieces Cardamom, whole, green
- 5 pieces Peppercorn, whole
- 2 pieces Clove, whole
- 1⁄4 tsp. Nutmeg Powder
- Small piece Javitri (Mace)
- 1⁄4 inch long Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp. Ginger Powder
In a coffee or spice grinder, combine all spices and grind until fine.
Nutrition Facts For Beef Nihari:
Serving Size: 1 serving (191g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 210, Fat Calories 60, Total Fat 6g (9% DV), Sat. Fat 1.5g (8% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 65mg (22% DV), Sodium 520mg (22% DV), Total Carbohydrates 10g (3% DV), Fiber 2g (8% DV), Protein 28g, Vitamin A (6% DV), Vitamin C (4% DV), Calcium (8% DV), Iron (20% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Nutrition Facts for Whole Wheat Pita Bread:
Serving Size: 1 Pita Bread (56g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 150, Fat Calories 10, Total Fat 1g (2% DV), Sat. Fat 0g (0% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholest. 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 225mg (10% DV), Total Carbohydrates 30g (9% DV), Fiber 3g (12% DV), Sugar 2g (1%) Protein 6g, Vitamin A (0% DV), Vitamin C (0% DV), Calcium (4% DV), Iron (6% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.