- Lemon Juice3 Tablespoonsfresh
- Tahini*2 Tablespoonssee recipe below
- Garlic2 cloveschopped
- Salt1/4 Teaspoon
- Italian Parsley3-4 leaveschopped
- Whole Wheat Pita8Halved
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dry eggplants. Do not peel or chop off the stems. Pierce each side of the eggplants with a fork.
- Place whole eggplants in the oven and roast for 45 minutes turning them 2 to 3 times. The eggplant are done when the outer shell is blackened or charred, and the inside is soft.
- Allow eggplants to cool. Once cool, cut eggplants lengthwise with a knife, and scoop out the pulp with a spoon; discard the skin. Put the pulp in a mixing bowl and mash it into a puree with a fork or blender. If using a blender, make sure not to liquefy the eggplant pulp.
- Add lemon juice, tahini, and chopped garlic to the eggplant puree and mix gently and thoroughly until the Baba Ganoush has a smooth consistency.
- Pour Baba Ganoush into a serving dish and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature with whole wheat pita bread.
Tahini* Recipe Made Simple - makes 210g (7.5oz)
- 1 cup roasted Sesame seeds
- 4 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Grind to a smooth consistency, add 2 Tbsp. warm water if needed.
- Use 2 Tbsp. for Baba Ganoush recipe and save the remaining Tahini in an airtight container for future use.
Nutrition Facts (does not include whole wheat pita bread):
Serving Size: 1 Serving (125g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 110, Calories from Fat 40, Total Fat 4.5g (7% DV), Saturated Fat 0.5g (3% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 0mg (0% DV), Sodium 150mg (6% DV), Total Carbohydrate 16g (5% DV), Dietary Fiber 8g (31% DV), Sugars 9g, Protein 3g, Vitamin A (4% DV), Vitamin C (20% DV), Calcium (6% DV), Iron (6% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.