- Potatoes1 Poundcut into 1-inch cubes
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Garlic Paste2 Teaspoons
- Salt1⁄2 Teaspoon
- Homemade Chola Masala*1 Tablespoon
- Water3 Cups
- Chickpeas1 Cupcooked (see quick soak method for cooking)**
- Cilantrofor garnish
- Jalapeño Peppers,1 Tablespoonchopped for garnish
- Whole-Wheat Chappatis4
- Peel and rinse potatoes thoroughly. Cut into 1 inch cubes and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, spray cooking oil for 2 seconds. Add potatoes, garlic paste, salt and homemade masala. Sauté for 2 minutes or until potatoes are well coated.
- Add water and partially cover the sauce pan. Cook potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until soft (but not mushy). Add cooked chick peas and stir well. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro
- In a medium skillet, over medium heat, spray cooking oil for 2 seconds. Pan-fry each chapatti on both sides.
- Enjoy with Halwa and Whole Wheat Roti (Chappati).
*Homemade Chola Masala
- 3⁄4 tsp. Turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp. Javitri (Mace)
- 1 tsp. Amchoor Powder (Mango Powder)
- 1 tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. Ajwain (Carom Seeds)
- 6 Cloves
- 1⁄4 tsp. Nutmeg Powder
- 1 tsp. (25 pieces) Black Pepper, whole
- 6 pieces Cardamom
- 1 tsp. Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 tsp. Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp. Kalonji Seeds (Black Nigella Seeds)
- 1 tbsp. Coriander Seeds
- 1⁄2 tbsp. Red Pepper, crushed
- In a coffee or spice grinder, combine all spices except fennel seeds, kalonji seeds, coriander, and red pepper; grind until fine.
- Add remaining spices and grind to make a coarse mixture.
Note: You only need 1 tablespoon of this homemade chola masala for this recipe. Store the remaining masala in a zip lock bag for up to three months.
**Quick Soak Method for Boiling Channa (Chickpeas)
- 1⁄2 cup Chickpeas, uncooked • 6 cups Water
- In a medium pot, over high heat, add 2 cups of water and uncooked chickpeas. Bring to a boil and remove from the stove. Cover for 1 hour.
- Drain the water and rinse the chickpeas. Add remaining water to the same pot and cook the chickpeas on high heat. As soon as it boils, reduce the heat to a low medium, cover the pot half way and let it simmer for 45 minutes or until done.
- Remove from heat and drain all the water. Let the chickpeas cool before using.
Nutrition Facts for Aloo Chana ONLY (does not include Halwa or Whole Wheat Chappatis):
Serving Size: 1 Serving (111g), Servings: 4, Amount Per Serving: Calories 170, Fat Calories 30, Total Fat 3g (5% DV), Sat. Fat 0g (0% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Sodium 330mg (13% DV), Total Carbohydrates 32g (11% DV), Fiber 6g (24% DV), Sugars 3g, Protein 6g, Vitamin A (2% DV), Vitamin C (25% DV), Calcium (6% DV), Iron (10% DV). Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.